Sunday, April 24, 2016

Tofu Scramble - A Favorite Vegan Breakfast

Breakfast has long been my favorite fare of the day and this recipe for 'Tofu Scramble' has quickly become one of my go-to morning meal choices.

pieced-pastimes-tofu-scramble-vegan-vegetarian

I have tried it with different combinations of vegetables, but tend to favor this blend of mushrooms, peppers, onions and spinach.

pieced-pastimes-tofu-scramble-vegan-vegetarian

I have also found that this breakfast scramble reheats beautifully, which comes in handy for those days I need to be out the door in a hurry.

pieced-pastimes-tofu-scramble-vegan-vegetarian

On this day I paired my scramble with some multi-grain toast, but there are countless other tasty ways to serve this. 

- Add some black beans and wrap in a whole wheat tortilla with salsa for a breakfast burrito.

- Serve with multi-grain nacho chips.

- Serve alongside some sweet potato home fries.

- Avocado is wonderful alongside this scramble....but then again avocado is wonderful with anything.

pieced-pastimes-tofu-scramble-vegan-vegetarian

Now, onto the recipe:

Tofu Scramble

Serves 2-3

- 1 small Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped Mushrooms
- 2 tsp minced Garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh Basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Black Salt aka Kala Namak
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1-14oz package Extra Firm Tofu, drained and pressed
- 3 cups Baby Spinach

Place onions, peppers, mushrooms and garlic into a heated non-stick skillet. Saute until onions start to brown. Add a tablespoon of water and stir to mix in the caramelization from the onions. Add the basil, nutritional yeast, turmeric, black salt, pepper and almond milk. Crumble the tofu into the mix and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the spinach and cook until spinach starts to wilt. 

pieced-pastimes-tofu-scramble-vegan-vegetarian

Whether you are #vegan, #vegetarian or perhaps looking for a #meatlessmonday idea, this recipe fits the bill. A simple dish that's packed with healthy and delicious ingredients to help jump start your morning.

pieced-pastimes-tofu-scramble-vegan-vegetarian

I hope you have a chance to give this recipe a try and that you enjoy it as much as I do.



Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious, Suzanne! I have yet to taste tofu - I think it's a texture thing. I buy it, plan a recipe and then it sits in my fridge until I throw it out, lol. I think you've finally given me the motivation to try it! Love you photos, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm. This looks good. I might actually make this for dinner, too!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading each and every comment and welcome any questions or feedback you may have.

^ Scroll to Top